Zocon 100mg 4 Tablets/Strip
Also known as Diflucan
Zocon general information
What is Zocon used for?
Zocon tablets 100mg are used to treat a variety of superficial and systemic fungal infections in various parts of the body. Fungal infections that Zocon 100 are used for include:
- candidiasis (thrush) of the mucus membranes such as in the mouth and vagina, also of the skin
- systemic candidiasis, like candidaemia, which is can be more serious particularly if the immune system is compromised as in AIDS, transplant or cancer patients
- tinea (ringworm) of the body (tinea pedis), foot (tinea corporis) and groin (tinea cruris or jock itch)
- cryptococcal meningitis
Zocon tablets 100mg are also used to prevent fungal infections like cryptococcal disease in immunocompromised patients and to prevent recurrent vaginal candidiasis.
How does Zocon work?
Zocon 100 tablets contain fluconazole 100mg, a broad-spectrum antifungal drug belonging to the triazole group of antifungals that is a potent and specific inhibitor of fungal enzymes necessary for the synthesis of ergosterol, an important component of fungal cell membrane that is not found in animal cells. Fluconazole in Zocon tablets 100mg weakens the fungal cell membrane, causing the cell contents to leak out which kills the fungus, preventing the infection from spreading and relieving symptoms caused by the infection, including, itching and inflammation.
What does Zocon contain?
Zocon tablets 100mg contain fluconazole, a broad-spectrum antifungal drug, used to treat and prevent a variety of fungal infections.
Treating fungal infections with Zocon
Zocon 100 tablets contain fluconazole 100mg, a broad-spectrum antifungal drug that is used to treat a wide range of superficial and systemic fungal infections, caused by a variety of susceptible fungal species. Zocon tablets 100mg specifically inhibit the synthesis of ergosterol, an important component of fungal cell membrane, which kills the fungus and stops it spreading; relieving the itching, scaling and other more severe symptoms caused by the fungal infection. Fungal infections that can be treated with Zocon tablets 100mg include:
- candidiasis (thrush) of the mucus membranes such as in the mouth and vagina, also of the skin;
- cryptococcal meningitis
Zocon for thrush
Zocon tablets 100mg contain fluconazole, a synthetic broad-spectrum antifungal agent that is used to treat a variety of fungal infections including thrush or candidiasis, which is caused by the yeast candida albicans. Although the any site on the body can become infected with candida, including the gastrointestinal tract, the most common site of infection are the mucous membranes of the mouth and vagina. Zocon tablets 100mg specifically inhibit the synthesis of ergosterol, an important component of fungal cell membrane, which kills the fungus and stops it spreading. In this way Zocon tablets 100mg relieves the symptoms of thrush in all its locations, and prevents constant reinfection in chronic recurrent vaginal thrush.
What are the side effects of Zocon?
The most common reported side effects when taking Zocon tablets 100mg include: upset stomach, stomach cramps, nausea and vomiting, diarrhoea, skin rash, headache, constipation, dizziness, flushing, tingling sensations.
When should Zocon not be used?
You should not use Zocon 100 if you:
- are allergic to fluconazole or any other azole drug, or any ingredients in Zocon tablets 100mg
- are pregnant or if you plan to become pregnant or are breastfeeding, without discussion with your doctor
- have liver disease or a heart condition
- are taking other medication that interacts with Zocon, including, the antiviral rifampicin, rifabutin or zidovudine; terfenadine or astemizole for allergy, cisapride for reflux, the anticonvulsant phenytoin, the diuretic hydrochlorothiazide, medicines for diabetes such as glipizide, tolbutamide or glibenclamide, theophylline for asthma, the immunosuppressants tacrolimus and cyclosporine, some benzodiazepines such as midazolam
What medications interact with Zocon tablets?
Several medications interact with Zocon 100 and should either not be taken while you are taking Zocon 100 or only after discussion and instruction from your doctor:
- Drugs that cause increased side effects: cisapride for reflux can cause heart problems;
- Drugs that affect Zocon: the antiviral rifampicin, rifabutin or zidovudine; the diuretic hydrochlorothiazide
- Drugs that are affected by Zocon: the anticonvulsant phenytoin, medicines for diabetes such as glipizide, tolbutamide or glibenclamide; theophylline for asthma, immunosuppressants tacrolimus and cyclosporine, some benzodiazepines such as midazolam
How should Zocon be taken?
- You should take your Zocon 100 dispersible tablets by dissolving one tablet in a glass of water where it will disintegrate rapidly to form a stabilized suspension, which makes it easy to take if you have problems swallowing. You can take your Zocon 100 dispersible tablets with or without food usually once a day for several days or months, depending on what you are being treated for, the severity of your infection and your doctor’s recommendations. Always finish your course of tablets even if you feel better, if not, the infection may not clear up completely.
How long should you take Zocon?
- You should complete your course of Zocon 100 tablets as prescribed by your doctor, which may be 5-10 days or longer, depending on what you are being treated for. Always finish your course of tablets even if you feel better, if not, the infection may not clear up completely.
Missed dose of Zocon
- If you miss a dose of Zocon tablets 100mg take it as soon as you remember, unless it is time to take the next dose, then skip the missed dose. Do not take a double dose.
How should Zocon be stored?
- You should keep your Zocon tablets 100mg in their blister packs until use and store below 30°C in a cool dry place.